Thursday, August 09, 2007

Happy Birthday Singapore

Singapore 10am

Today is Singapore’s 42nd birthday, it’s such a great experience to be here this day. Yesterday I saw Prime Minister Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on MediaCorp delivering his message. The Prime Minister is very much positive about the future of SG. I have never heard of such passion to pursue his fellow’s welfare, well not from anyone from RP. My thoughts are sporadic as I watch him speak about the welfare of the old Singaporeans, how this time the government is preparing for those who would retire, by having their benefits more accessible. One of his programs is to make people work longer so that they need not retire early therefore more retirement benefits would come their way.

In facing global matters, PM Lee says SG needs dedicated leaders in every sector and indeed as great changes unfold before Singaporeans, one strategy that he gave was for the Singaporeans to be more resilient and be able to tackle problems their own instead of looking for the government to solve every problem.

My favorite part is when PM Lee states that the internet is a tremendous tool changing the world therefore the citizens should make full use of it to link up and become a productive economy and a vibrant society.

He invites everyone to unite..learn to live and adapt.

"Singaporeans should express themselves freely but responsibly. We need to help solve problems and build our nation, not chip away at the pillars of our society. We will not always agree with one another, but we must stay cohesive and united in our common vision for Singapore."

I can not help but think about the leaders of our society back home. I know they all have good intentions, the opposition and the administration have their call to provide for the welfare of the Filipinos. Maybe a few dirty tricks on their hands but I still believe that being in their position there is always a struggle to do what is right. And I salute those who are successful in doing so.

I have been very negative about the president ever since she sat office, most of my friends knew this. Who cares anyway? I am just a fragment of one’s imagination so what does my being negative to anyone have to do with change?

But being brought through the road of failures, I have learned not to sympathize with those who fail but to bring down the judge’s robe for I am not and never will become a judge to anyone of them.

In my heart I just thought that as the leaders of our society scamper for attention, may the solutions for the nation’s problems be visible. It would not be difficult to ask the people to tackle problems on their own if the people would only see that the government is really doing their part. And if they have been doing their part, well its time to educate the people that we have a good government after all. Spread the clothe of knowledge, not through the media but by reaching out to every sector of the society.

Before anarchy would break out into our land let’s leave enough space to trust each other, the people, the government and everything else that surrounds it, including the church and the media.

If Singapore can make it big, the Philippines can too.

As a Filipino living abroad, I am guilty of leaving my country behind in exchange for good welfare and better work compensation. But as there is a sovereign God who leads each of our path. I still pray for the chance to be one with all of you in building our nation together. In rising up from the ashes of shame, corruption and societal failure.

There are a lot of good things happening back home I know it. Take it from me, I never once said anything good about the Philippines. I used to live behind the curtains of “who cares?” attitude, if I could make it better then I would, everyone else must live as he wants to..

But living here in SG for a few months makes me think about the Philippines more often.

Thanks to TFC(ABS CBN) another one of the entities that I loathed seeing.

Oh things could really change so fast…it took me one wrong turn in life to realize greater things.

I end my blog with another of Mr Lee’s great words of encouragement.

"We must do more to engage our young and strengthen their roots in Singapore. We must imbue in them the conviction that Singapore is a special and unique place that belongs to them and that Singapore's future depends on them,"

No comments: